Here's some exciting news. Check it out: Straw Hat's Caramelized Onion Pizza was recently featured as the menu of the week on a popular women's social networking site: www.BettyConfidential.com.
Now mom's across the country can serve up Straw Hat to their kids.... Let's just consider that an appetizer to the real thing - bringing the kids INTO a Straw Hat and experiencing all the excitement of these community hubs.
What's for Dinner?
Straw Hat Pizza
Turn Your Kitchen into a Pizzeria!
Straw Hat Pizza, makers of the original "California pizza" serves up a recipe for Caramelized Onion Pizza to get the whole family involved.
Here's a quick meal your family will love. It's one that is a rotating special for the Straw Hat Pizza and Straw Hat Grill eateries in California, where the original California pizza was born almost 50 years ago. One secret: The chain's chefs insist that Monterey Jack, not Mozzarella is the way to go, with a little dash of Fontina cheese to add that extra burst of flavor.
This pizza can be cut into squares to make a great appetizer for parties. It should be made with a light serving of the cheese blend and can be served with no cheese for a lite, healthy alternative.
1 (.25 ounce) package dry yeast1 cup warm water (110 degrees)2 cups bread flour2 tablespoons olive oil1 teaspoon salt2 teaspoons white sugar
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, olive oil, salt, white sugar and the yeast mixture; stir well to combine. Beat well until stiff dough has formed. Cover and rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
3. Turn dough out into a well-floured surface. Form dough into a round and roll out into a pizza crust shape.
Ingredients (cheese blend):
4 ounces shredded Monterey jack 2 ounces shredded mozzarella1 ounce shredded Fontina cheese
Ingredients (pizza topping):
¼ cup olive oil for frying onions6 cups thinly sliced onions (approximately 3 pounds)6 garlic gloves3 Tbs. fresh thyme of 1 Tbs. dried thyme1 bay leafsalt & pepper2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil for dribbling on top of pizza1 Tbs. drain capers1-1/2 Tbs. pine nuts
1. Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil and add the onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaf.Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture has evaporated and theonion mixture is very soft, almost smooth, and caramelized, about 45 minutes.Discard the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cover the pizza shaped dough with light amount of the cheese blend, the onion mixture, sprinkle with capers and pine nuts, and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
3. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. The baking time will vary depending on whether you bake on a stone, a screen or in a pan. Be sure that your oven is well pre-heated before putting pizza in the oven.